Cultured Raspberry Relish
- 300g raspberries
- 1 blood orange (if available) sliced in rounds
- 1 navel orange sliced in rounds
- Zest of 1 lemon in long curly strips
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 whole star anise
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 12 rosella hibiscus flowers halved (optional)
- ¹/³ sachet of Cutting Edge Cultures starter culture
- Raw wildflower honey to serve
- You will need one 750ml airtight jar to ferment in
Add the starter culture to ¼ cup of filtered water and set aside for 10 minutes while you prepare the rest of the mix.
Add the salt to the lemon juice and stir to dissolve before pouring over the raspberries.
Once ready add the water with the starter culture and then the spices and gently mix through the raspberries.
Into a 750ml airtight jar spoon layers of raspberries and spices alternating with slices of orange.
Pour the remainder liquid into the jar. If it doesn’t cover the fruit add a little more filtered water until it does.
Make sure to leave a couple of cm at the top of the jar free.
Attach the lid and add water to the airlock if using one.
Wrap the jar in a tea towel to block out light and then let it sit at room temperature for 24 hours to ferment.
When ready place in fridge to chill before serving.
You can add a drizzle of honey at the table when serving.